Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Chicken and Spinach Flautas

Full disclosure.  This is not a Lindsay original recipe.  I've adapted it from this website.  I did not change a lot, but there were a few things, so I'll walk you through what I discovered.  However you decide to make this recipe, please make this recipe!  It is simple, quick, and so tasty.

You will need:
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
  • 16 ounces Beer (or chicken broth)
  • 2 cups Water
  • 1 teaspoon Paprika
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
  • 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
  • 1 Jalapeno Pepper, minced
  • 6 cups Baby Spinach, chopped
  • 5 burrito-size Whole Wheat Tortillas (9 inches)
  • 6 ounces Shredded Cheese (I used a combo of Cheddar, Colby Jack, and Havarti with jalapeno)
  • Cooking spray 
  • Salsa and sour cream, for serving 
I did not make this full recipe.  I made about half because that's how much chicken I had left over from Chicken Tortilla Soup and I only have 3 tortillas.  Oh, and I'm only cooking for myself and still working my way through soup, chili, and corn casserole!  So, if you followed my post about Chicken Tortilla Soup, you know how to make the chicken.  If not, here we go!

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.  Simmer a beer and 2 cups of water in a sauce pan and then add your chicken.  Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. 
 Pour off all but 1/4 cup of the poaching liquid and shred your chicken.  I use the paddle attachment on my mixer on medium speed for 45 seconds.  Presto!  Shredded chicken!  Toss in the seasoning, mix for another few seconds and then set it aside.  
Shred
Poach
Mix

Heat the poaching liquid over medium heat while you chop up a LOT of baby spinach.  I used three cups just for my half batch, so definitely make a lot!  I also added a hot pepper from my garden, I think it was a Cayenne.  Add the spinach and pepper to the pan and saute for a few minutes while you set up for assembly. 
 You will need your chicken, cheese, and tortillas that are cut in half.  You should also spray a baking tray with cooking spray.  Once the spinach cooks and the liquid is pretty much gone, you can start putting them together.  Spoon some chicken, spinach and a little cheese on the cut side of the tortilla.  Then roll it up as tightly as you can and put it seam side down on the tray. 

Spray them lightly with cooking spray and pop them in the oven for 10 minutes.  Serve them with salsa and sour cream (and corn casserole, if you have some!)  
 


2 comments:

  1. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so quick and tasty! I've been trying to think what else might would be good with the chicken besides spinach.

      Delete