Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Summer smoothie

You may have been wondering whether I'm still here because it's been pretty quiet here on the Hungry Monster Blog....  Well, I am, but I'll let you in on a secret...  I don't really like to cook in the summer.  Crazy, I know, right?  You would think, being a teacher, that I'd be in the kitchen all the time.  If that's what you thought, you'd be wrong.  It's hot, I'm busy, and honestly, not nearly as interested in food in the summer.  Thus, I cook significantly less.  I make salads, and soon I'll have a bunch of veggies to harvest from my vine garden, so look for new recipes for cucumbers, eggplant, and squashes soon...  But for now I will fill you in on what I've been living off of the last few weeks.

Smoothies.

I love smoothies.  They are tasty, healthy, cold, easy, and utilize many of my favorite things, fruit, veggies, and yogurt!  I'll share with you my basic go-to smoothie, but really you can throw whatever fruit you like into it!  This one was mostly berries.


I used:


About 3/4 c fat free plain greek yogurt
1 ripe banana
a few each frozen strawberries and blackberries
a handful each of fresh raspberries and blueberries
a big handful of kale (Yes, kale!  It's super good for you, and you'll never taste it!)
a splash of pomegranate juice

Layer them up in your blender, I do it in the order listed above and as pictured below:
Yogurt and bananas

Then add frozen berries

Next add fresh berries

Then add the kale
Last, splash in some Pom!





 Put on the lid and let it whirl on the puree or liquify setting until it's all mixed together and smooth.  Sometimes I have to use a spoon to push down the kale so that it catches the blades.  Then just pour it into a glass and enjoy!  I like to snack on a few coco dusted almonds with mine, but that's just me.



 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment