Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Roasted Veggies

I've got to tell you, yesterday I went to Wegmans with nothing but cheese and cream in my fridge. It had gotten pretty busy around here, and even I can only eat so much cheese!  So I headed to my favorite store and loaded up my cart with veggies, fruit, and chili ingredients.  I got home late tonight after a really LONG meeting at school and was so psyched to make dinner. For once in my life I wasn't starving when I got home because I brought yummy snacks (avocado humus, red peppers, and carrots) to share at the meeting, and we order out for lunch.  This gave me time to pre-heat my ancient oven and do some roasting.  Ps.  I'm saying goodbye to my 1970s range Saturday and getting a new one!  I have to admit I'm feeling a little sad to see my old friend go, but I know I'll be able to count on the new one in a whole new way.  Anyway...


I pre-heated my oven to 425 degrees and started chopping up some vegetables.  On a foil-lined baking dish I drizzled a little olive oil, then added my cubed up (and peeled) sweet potato, red potato, turnips, carrots, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and radishes.  By the way, I had never cooked radishes before, but a friend shared that they were delicious, so I decided to give them a try.  Oh, they were good!

I then tossed them in a little more olive oil, salt and pepper, and put them on the top rack of my oven.  I checked on them a few times, then after about 30 minutes, I took them out and enjoyed them with a grass-fed steak tenderloin, mushrooms, and a few onion rings.  







It was so delicious, and to be honest, I could have just eaten a huge bowl of the veggies.  I don't think I even needed the steak, although it was also very tasty. 
I tried each of the vegetables on their own because I wondered which one I liked the best, and I've got be honest, I'm not really sure I could answer my own question.  The sweet potato was sweet and tender, the sprouts got blackened and crispy, and the radishes were still a little spicy, but I truly was surprised that I think the turnips were my favorite.  Which roasted vegetable is your favorite?  Which ones should I add to my pan?


No comments:

Post a Comment