Saturday, October 4, 2014

Shrimp and Quinoa Salad

This Saturday is not the one I had planned, but I'm trying to make the best of it.  I have a cold and have been confined to the couch watching Law and Order: SVU for the majority of the day, but I did manage to get out to gather some ingredients for a baking project that I'll try and tackle later this evening-stay tuned!
Anyway, I pinned a recipe ages ago and decided to give it a try tonight, but I made a few alterations.  I found the inspiration at this blog, but after looking it over, I mostly just made it up as I went along.  This salad was flavorful, had a wonderful mix of textures, and was packed with healthy ingredients!  I waited way too long to try it, don't make the same mistake.  I also think it would be delicious without the shrimp if you wanted to make it vegetarian, but then I would up the quinoa to 3/4 c. instead to up the protein content.

What you need:

2 c. shrimp (I eyeballed this, probably could have thrown a few more in!)
1/2 c. quinoa, uncooked
1/4 red onion, diced
1 can corn kernels, drained and rinsed
1 can black bean, rinsed
1 avocado, cubed
1 clove garlic, minced
5-6 good sized leaves of basil, cut into ribbons
olive oil for sauteing shrimp

Vinaigrette

juice from 1 lemon
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 Tbsp good olive oil
salt and pepper

Start by cooking the quinoa according to the package, I used a tri-colored variety and it calls for a 2/1 ratio for liquid to grain.  Get that going, then saute the shrimp in a little olive oil and the garlic, just until they are pink- it only takes a few minutes.  While that is cooking, mix up your other ingredients, except the basil, in a large bowl.  Season it all with salt and pepper and then make the dressing.  I just added all of the vinaigrette ingredients to a small jar and shook it up, but you could whisk it if you want.  I only used half of the dressing and put the rest in the fridge for another day.  Once the quinoa and shrimp are cooked, add them in to the mix and stir it all together.  I sprinkled my bowl with the fresh basil just before eating so it didn't get warm or lose that bright green color.  
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did.  It was a delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment